19 July 2012

Unchosen 24

It started with proof that there's no such thing as being too cautious. The mutants attacked again, coming at us from all directions, howling in fury as they came. I was on the litter at that point, so Chasity snatched Doc's sub-machinegun from under his arm, and sprayed at the nearest group of muties. I started to set down my end of the litter, but Doc shoved it into my hand, and yelled at me.

"Run! There's too many to fight off out in the open!"

I glanced at Chasity as she let off another chattering burst of gunfire, dropping two of the yellow beasts, and scattering several more. Her teeth were bared in a snarl as she raised her rifle one-handed and shot another in the face at point blank range. Doc gave another shove, and I lurched into a jog, leaving it to Chasity to cover our retreat. I hated to do it, but I trusted Chasity's competence, and we were in too dire a situation to argue.

"Uh, guys?" she called after a couple minutes of running, punctuated by more more bursts of gunfire. "Something's wrong. I don't think they're really trying to catch us." I glanced back just in time to see the last of the mutants melting away back into the ruins.

"Oh, shit," murmured Doc, and the awed tone of his voice snapped my head back around to the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment