26 September 2012

Unchosen 27

Chasity's scream rent the air. The mortal agony in her voice made me clench my teeth. I shifted my grip on the litter, getting one hand free to raise one of my revolvers to aim at the monstrous bug. Only... where to shoot? Everwhere on the massive head was armored, and it didn't have eyes, or that would have been the obvious target. The acid spur seemed risky; Who knew what rupturing that might do? As I was considering my target, I felt a hand smack weakly into my leg. I looked down into Tex's nearly delirious eyes as he murmured something I couldn't hear over Chasity's scream, and another chatter of submachinegun fire. Damn, but that girl was tough.

"The antenna, you old fuck," Tex managed in the brief silence that followed. "Shoot the antenna."

I looked up to see Chasity hunched behind a rock weeping copiously while trying to slap another magazine into the gun one-handed. The centipede's antennae were whipping furiously, tip-tapping the ground, working their way closer to her hiding spot. It seemed to have forgotten the rest of us in Chasity's determinedly continued assault. It was obvious that she didn't expect to get out of there alive, and she was giving us the opportunity to get away.

To hell with that.

I thumbed back the hammer on my revolver, leveled it and squinted as I brought it to bear. Chances were, I'd only get one clean shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment