02 December 2011

Unchosen 2

I was a little shell-shocked when I gathered up what little remained to me. I wasn't entirely sure why I was leaving, I only knew that there was little here to hold me. After things had come to a head last night, that was especially true. She'd been here less than a week, and everything was different. The funny thing was that she hadn't even come to town to act as savior and angel of vengeance; She was looking for something that wasn't even here. But when the lines were drawn, she refused to back down. In a night of blood, fire and gunsmoke, I found my way off of my knees, and learned again what it was to be a man. I'd done my best to forget in all the years since the War, but I knew I couldn't go on like that.

Maybe that's why, as the sun rose up before us, I followed along behind her into the blasted wastelands.