25 May 2012

Unchosen 20

Chasity was still prone out in the open, but nothing else came at us just yet. I guess the ugly gleam in her eye and the ever-scanning barrel of her rifle dissuaded any heroics from our ambushers. Still, it couldn't go on forever; The longer it took to end this conflict, the worse it would be for us. I whistled a sharp, abrupt little signal, then stood up from behind the rubble I'd been using as cover, both revolvers up and ready. As soon as I showed myself, I caught a flash of movement ahead of us, and by the sudden swivel of Chasity barrel, I knew she had too. Still, it wasn't a clean shot, so she held off. I stepped around the rock, eyes roving around, anywhere but right ahead of us; Chasity would cover that direction more than adequately, and I knew that any creature cunning enough to stage an ambush wouldn't attack from only one direction.

I wasn't disappointed. From Chasity's left, a sudden disturbance turned into a rush of three of the yellowish mutants, charging right down on her position. She never even batted an eye as I lifted both revolvers and sent the beasties to meet their maker. A single crack told me that the creature to our front had thought to take advantage of the distraction, and paid the price.

A sudden stab of dread made me reverse course, leveling my revolver back toward Doc and Tex, but I knew I was too late even before I saw the pair of monsters bearing down Doc's back. Suddenly, a roar of fire shredded both of them, and Doc threw himself to the ground with a string of curses. Barely audible under his tirade, I heard a feeble voice.

"Fuckers only get the drop on me once."

No comments:

Post a Comment