14 June 2012

Unchosen 22

"How ya doin' on ammo, Chas?" I asked as I counted out my remaining bullets. It wasn't a pleasing number.

"I'm not going to run out in the next five minutes," she said after a minute, but I could tell by her tone that she wasn't doing much better than I was. "How's Tex?"

I glanced over toward Doc and Tex again. Doc's hands were moving steadily, but there wasn't anymore tension to the set of his shoulders, so I knew Tex would live. Throatshot, and he'd live, I thought, shaking my head ruefully. Doc was a wonder kid, that was for sure. Still, we had to get him out of here, or else no amount of doctoring was going to help.

"Looks like we might have to put up with him a bit longer yet," I replied.

"Pity," she shot back. I glanced over at her, and noted her intense stillness. She had more to say, and was working up to it. I let the silence play out, staring forward intently. Finally, she rolled onto her side to shout at Doc. "Hey, Doc! Soon as you're done, we're out of here."

"The hell..!" Tex croaked, then coughed weakly before trying again. "The hell we are. We've got to find your kin."

"They're dead," she growled back. "You're not. We're leaving."

No comments:

Post a Comment